evolution

From: Litgo@aol.com
As far as my thoughts on DP now, I really don't listen to any of the
music I
listened to then. The only vestige of my "Rock Radio" days is the who. I
don't know why that is.....
<<<

When I was 17, I couldn't imagine being awake 5 seconds without having
some music playing, usually Who, Zep, or Yes.  Now I go entire weeks
without starting up the stereo.  It's not that the music is any less
meaningful, just that it's perhaps less *relevant.*  At 35, I'm (more or
less) finished with adolescence, so while I still love Quad, it's not
quite so immediate.  Also, I find I'm looking less to lyrics and more to
musical content.  This is why I'm still into the Who and Yes, and not
into other bands that I may have listened to before: they need to have
quality and depth beyond slamming my head against the wall (which still
has it's own charm, it just takes a lot longer for me to recover from
now...), or containing lyrics that describe emotions that I have moved
past.

Growing up can be great in many senses, but it can also be very sad.  My
wife and I have this discussion often, about the need to back away from
the flame of youth.  It can be such a beautiful and terrifying motive
force from within, but if it isn't eventually dealt with, it will consume
and destroy you.  I'm happy that I let mine go as long as I did (and god
knows, considering some of the unbelievably self-destructive, reckless
and dangerous things I've done, I should have never made it even to this
ripe age), and I feel sad sometimes that I just don't feel things as
intensely as I used to.  But I understand that there is a time to let
that flame go, before it totally overwhelms.

I used to believe the line "hope I die before I get old,"  but now I know
it's much better to have survived, and to understand what it was that got
me here, and to be able to look forward without the desperate need of
wrenching every last little bit of life out of every single moment.  It's
very tiring to do that...  :)

OK,
KLW