Re[2]: Dreaming in Cleveland

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:22:39 -0400 (EDT)
To: thewho@mpath.com
From: "Gary M. Gillman" <garyg@inforamp.net>
Subject: Re: Dreaming in Cleveland
Sender: owner-thewho@mpath.com
        I don't know anything about pre-recorded sound in WGFA on TKAA, but
     as a tape editor, I'm pretty sure the performance in the movie is at
     least two different performances with a major juncture being Pete's
     slow motion slide across the stage.  Another thing that leads me to
     believe this is that up to that point it sounds pretty much the same
     as on the record, but totally different after that point.

Author:  "Gary M. Gillman" <garyg@inforamp.net> at Internet
 Sun Dec  7 14:24:46 PST 1997
Date:    5/9/96 2:22 PM

At 07:53 AM 5/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Gary, re:
>
>>(I would previously have put WGFA as filmed by Jeff Stein in TKAA above
>Dreaming, but I`m now convinced as a result of comments by other listers that
>parts if not all of that performance were pre-recorded).
>
>"Pre-recorded"??? Yeah, maybe the synthesizer tape, but I wouldn't say
>anything else on it... I think this may have been a "take 2" as Stein wasn't
>happy with the first version they did of it... It was my favorite version of
>the song, until I heard Kansas City, 1975. The drumming on that version is
>unbelievable...
>
>-wf
>
>Well, I don`t know...Look carefully at the beginning of the song, when Pete
is spinning around wildly; he seems barely to be playing the guitar yet the
riffs are clean and in tune. Also, after the synth and drum solos at the end,
his acrobatics ( that phenomenal cross-stage leap - how his knees stood this
I don`t know) seem at odds with some of his playing, as if he was miming it.
I`m quite sure a lister has earlier given additional reasons for this view,
but I can`t recall who he was now. It was in the course of a discussion about
why the Who had lip-synched many of their tv appearances.....Gary M.