Re: Deep Purple (no Who)

> It's basically the same thing as I like about the Who that I like about
> Deep Purple:  at their best, they were thoroughly inimitable.  For the
> Who, that's both musically and lyrically, for Deep Purple, it's just
> musically, while for someone like John Fogerty, it's lyrically but not
> necessarily musically.

For once in my life (Stevie sing!) I have FINALLY come across someone
else who understands why the WHO were so great and my personal choice as
the greatest rock band to ever exist.  The Who can't be imitated.  I
read/hear this stuff on how it's such a great tribute to a certain band
that they copy your sound/style/etc.  Bullshit!  It shows that the band
in question can be easily copied, which isn't the greatest tribute at
all.  Now of course you can say that the greatness of a certain band is
that none of it's imitators got it right.  Yet these copiers came close
enough to the point that you recognized it as a direct reference to this
band.  You know who I'm talking about, it's the same ones who are still
worshiped on AOR (the dying breed) radio today.  Pink Floyd gave up it's
cry of originality the second Roger Waters decided to take over.