Lev/Drumming

Lev asked:

>1.  On a bunch of pictures I've seen, Keith is holding his drumstick(s)
backwards--pointy part in palm.  Is this for a specific effect or just
because he's drunk/drugged out of his mind?  (page 81 of the Charlesworth
mini-book or the center of the 2-page picture section before the chronology
in the box set booklet)<

Many drummers do this so that they always have the meatiest part of the stick
available.  Playing that way allows you be louder without really having to be
conscious of of the position the stick is in when you strike the cymbals.
 Kenney also played this way on occasion.  In fact, both Keith and Kenney
have been regarded as two of rock's louder drummers.  It is possible to buy
sticks then are essentially wooden batons, with no tapered or tipped ends at
all.

>2.  Do you (and this is obviously an IYHO) think any rock drummers ever
approached the level at which Buddy Rich and other jazz guys played?  Also,
why does Ian Paice get mentioned so rarely as one of rock's better
drummers?<

The first question can be addressed in a number of ways--overall technical
ability and jazz style.  Rich was notably technically proficient (it was
rumored he could do a full martial drumroll with one hand).  There are
several drummers in rock that I know of who I would say approach Rich in
terms of technical ability:  Bill Bruford, Neil Peart, Carl Palmer, Alan
White, Simon Phillips.  I cannot comment on the fusion stuff that tries to
combine jazz into rock; I just never listened to it.

As far as Ian Paice goes, the recorded stuff I have heard doesn't make me
think he's a revolutionary player.  But then, I don't care a lot for Deep
Purple, beyond SMOKE ON THE WATER.

Jim