It's Hard

     John H Prellwitz writes:
     ^^IH just seemed like a random collection thrown down to meet a
     deadline.

     I've read this before from other suscribers and it leaves me a little
     perplexed.  I don't want to defend IH as a great album but it has
     always seemed to me to hang on a very tight thematic link (with the
     exception of "Athena" and "One At a Time," and cases could be made,
     although I think it would be stretching it).

     It's Hard is an attack on macho attitudes.  At times it almost sounds
     like a Phil Donahue/Alan Alda confab, although I think The Who have
     more than earned the right to say this.  Even Entwistle's 1st two
     songs are on this subject (and I would say some of the most complex
     writing of his career).  Pete may have gotten the idea from a request
     from Roger and John for "politically correct" material or he may have
     been influenced by The Clash.  In any case, the material makes a
     bookend to the 1st album's macho attitudes.  Mind you, I'm not saying
     it was successful (not as successful as the 1st album was), but I
     don't see it in any way being a random collection of songs.