Re: Another Tricky Baba Song?

In a message dated 96-05-06 13:45:07 EDT, mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
writes:

>I liked A Little
>Is Enough for its clever lines ("Your love is like heroin/This addict is
>mellowing..."). But better yet (to me) are the songs Rough Boys, I Am An
>Animal, Jools And Jim, Empty Glass, and Gonna Get Ya.
>Ah, TOMMY just came up on the CD player. Very nice. Today I've got it loaded
>with TOMMY, LAL, WN, and Taking The Capitol. Just to give the store some
>atmosphere.
>Well, enough of that. Just a bit of Who rambling. Back to the subject.
>I don't really look at Pete's songs as upbeat or otherwise...because a good,
>solid Rock song is upbeat to me anyway. I Can't Explain, for instance, is a
>song of pain and confusion and yet I want to jump up whenever I hear it and
>play my air-guitar. Waterloo Sunset, a most beautiful song, has an element
>of celebration in it and yet I get sad and wistful when it's on. For me, at
>least, upbeat has more to do with the music than the message therein. Call
>me shallow, but that's how I'm affected by music. A lot of Rock music has a
>negativity about it anyway...pain is sometimes the best catalyst for a great
>song. Look at Clapton, who was at his best when addicted to heroin.
>As far as lyrics and messages in music are concerned, I'm of the opinion
>that most listeners (who care about such things) enjoy listening to songs
>that don't teach or inform, but rather ones that echo what they already
>believe or feel. I wouldn't mind some feedback on that, if anyone has any
>thoughts...
>
>                   Cheers                   ML

First, what store are you in? I can't remember the last (or first) time I
heard the who in a record store!

Second, "...there's an i before e when you're spelling ecstasy..." has always
(IMO) one of the most profound lines I've ever heard, not to mention from
Pete.

What impressed me the most when I began to listen to the Who was the ability
(or talent) to take subjects that, in the case of most bands and the time,
would have been insipid, sappy ballad-type songs, but, instead, were
powerful, bombastic anthems [for the ages ;) ].

As far as:
>As far as lyrics and messages in music are concerned, I'm of the opinion
>that most listeners (who care about such things) enjoy listening to songs
>that don't teach or inform, but rather ones that echo what they already
>believe or feel. I wouldn't mind some feedback on that, if anyone has any
>thoughts...

Then why is there such a proliferation of country-music fans?