Re: Last Two Albums

To M.L.

>I'm not confusing anything. The word used was "success." Not "artistic
>success."  Pete, at that point, was no longer trying to achieve artistic
>success with The Who (and there are any number of interviews from the time
>that say so). He was pursuing his solo career with more vigor, and that's
>where he was focused. As has been said here on the Digest, Pete went to the
>band and asked what they wanted him to write about. Given Daltrey's track
>record, I doubt Townshend was expecting any artistic advice fom him.
>Entwistle? I doubt it.

Yes, you make my point for me.  Pete had long complained about the fact that
the Who were getting his best material and he did not want this to continue.
As a result his later solo efforts were strong i.e."Empty Glass", etc.  Pete
was getting tired of carrying the load with the Who, wasn't up to tackling
the ambitious projects of the past, got little help from his bandmates and it
showed - FD and IH didn't get Pete's best stuff and IH was made purely to
fufill their MCA record contract! (they had already gotten the advance).
 Given these facts it's understandable that FD and IH turned out to be weak
efforts.

>>Using album sales as THE measure of success can be a mistake.
>
>Not in this case.

I don't really know what that response means.  You seem to be saying that the
sales are proof enough that IH was a success and not a failure.  I, however,
have provided you with ample evidence of terrific selling albums and artists
that would not be part of any essential collection of a large number of
serious rock fans. You seem to hang your hat on the fact that IH reached a
high position (#8) on the charts but good sales of IH would be understandable
in light of the fact that this was a legendary band having built a large
following at the end of a long career. Also,  IH was released to coincide
with the Who's farewell tour!  How could it not sell?

>I only half agree. FD along with A QUICK ONE (and not counting MAGIC BUS) IS
>pretty forgettable...in light of the other Who albums. On the other hand, if
>you want to talk about what (say) The Stones were doing about then...
>IT'S HARD is better than anything that side of WHO BY NUMBERS, by virtue of
>performance and material.

IH is better than" Who Are You?"  I could not disagree more.  WAY went 4
singles deep, had arguably their best song in years (the title track),
 featured much stronger contributions from Entwistle and by the standard you
seem to rely on most, reached #2 in the US.  IH, on the hand, was an album
made because they had to, managed but two singles, featured Kenny Jones not
Moon and had songs like "One Life's Enough", "A Man  Is A Man", "Why Did I
Fall For That" and "Cry If You Want".  I'd love to have seen the look on RD
and JAE faces when Pete offered up material like this (particularly "One
Life's Enough") for the Who.

>And exactly what is meant by "briefly?" It sold millions of copies, and is
>STILL selling now. I don't work for Atlantic, or even MCA...but you can't
>argue with sales. Maybe they were expecting more...although after FD, I
>can't see why.

"Briefly" means for a relatively short period of time.  It charted and
reached #8 in the US (not exactly Led Zepp like sales) and faded fairly fast.
 I see it mostly at discounted prices today - doesn't sound to me like an
album that is selling too well today.  Also, there are no plans, as you may
know,  for a remastered FD or IH. The folks in England feel most Who fans
know when the flame burnt out.

>That is NOT why the band "packed it in," either. Pete wanted to stop
>touring and do solo albums. Daltrey and Entwistle wanted to tour. THAT is
>why they broke up. Again, any interview from that time will tell you this.

Pete is on record as having said the Who were "dead dogs creatively."
They packed it in because FD and IH were proof enough that the gas tank was
empty, the spark was gone and they had fulfilled their obligation to MCA.  Of
course Pete wanted to do solo albums - what would you have expected him to do
retire and stop making music?

BTW, I am curious about other list members who may feel that IH is better
than WAY. Let me know if I am in the minority.

JJM