Fang's Offensive Remarks

<<Have you ever been on the streets of NYC? Been offered drugs in Tower
Records? (a bit
annoying when you're trying to buy Who records!) Sorry if you (and a few
others) don't like a little realism (which has nothing to do with
"racism"), but I don't live in fantasyland like some people (ie Mr. $1.99)
do...

-wf>>

To:  Mr. Richard Weiner, aka WFang-

It is clear from the postings of several people on this list that your
remarks were offensive.  I had hoped this would prompt an apology from you,
but instead you ridicule those who were offended.

This is not an "all-white" list.  My fiance is black.  Imagine how she
might have felt if she had read your post.  Her father and brother are
"large black men" who happen to be responsible citizens.  Your derogatory
characterization of blacks as being criminals, low-lifes or sex-starved
illiterates is not only inaccurate but extremely insensitive.  Have you no
concept of how painful this can be?  Surely, with your name you must have
suffered a great deal of chiding when you were young.

Mr. Weiner, may I suggest you pause and consider the profound effect that
black Americans (like all Americans) have had on YOUR life.  There would be
no Who, no Maximum R&B, without black culture (that's the R&B).  Mr.
Townshend's father would never have introduced him to jazz, and so Pete may
never have picked up a guitar.  Mr. Daltrey would be a crooner.  Mr.
Entwistle would be a classical musician.  No, Mr. Weiner, instead you'd be
the self-proclaimed guru of the Four Seasons mailing list, lamenting the
fact that the 2:52 version of "Big Girls Don't Cry" has never been released
in Stereo.

Sincerely,
Scott Totten