PT on Gilmour's About FaceSun Dec 7 13:22:25 PST 1997

Hey everyone, I just got back from spring break last week and all week I've
been catching up on what I missed, the digests must be 3 times what they
were this time last year!

A sunday or 2 ago it was David Gilmour's birthday so to celebrate it WMMR
played some interview with him from 1984.  In it the DJ and Gilmour were
talking about About Face, so I just taped it for the possible Pete content
and finally got around to listening to it (while I was reading Feb's
digests).  Here's a quote from Gilmour when questioned about the type of
collaboration he had with Pete on that album.  David met Pete in Philly for
the first time in '68.  "I met Pete Townshend actually, I think I met him in
Philadelphia for the first time.  That same ...[not] on that particular
show, but we certainly did a number of gigs together on that tour in '68.
 And we don't really keep in contact particularly, and I don't know very
well, but I have known him for a long time, a little bit.  And he told me a
couple of years ago that he liked my first solo album, and said that if
there was any ever help I needed with anything, I don't know what he was
thinking of really production, lyrical assistance anything I don't know.
 But he offered.  So when I was nearing the end of this album and I was a
little stuck with some lyrics cause I got some but I didn't like them on two
of those tracks.  And I was working flat out on actually getting the record
done, and I didn't have the time or the inspiration to really write more
lyrics myself.  And I thought well, he had offered so I thought I'd give him
a ring and I gave him a ring.  And I sent him down finished backing tracks
which he wrote words for and demoed them on cassette and then sent them back
to me.  So it's not really a true collaboration."

Sue