WHO '68

     ^why didn't the Who release an album of original material in 1968?  I
     ^know that "Tommy" was way overdue then, and I also know that "Direct
     ^Hits"/"Magic Bus" were released as stopgap measures, and yet, in the
     ^wake of all of this (for me) new Who material from "30 Years" and the
     ^"Sell Out" reissue, I've managed to compile almost two album's worth
     ^of first-rate material dating from 67 to late 68, stuff that, IMO,
     ^outdistances "A Quick One" by a long shot.  I've even made a
     ^two-sided tape of this stuff--"Melancholia," "Jaguar, "Early Morning
     ^Cold Taxi," that type of thing--that has been in heavy rotation in my
     ^tape deck for a year now.  Why didn't The Who compile an album of all
     ^this stuff?

     Since all this material came to light, I've wondered about this, too.
     From what I've read, The Who were not thrilled with Pete's original
     material during this period (such as "Faith In Something Bigger,"
     "Melancholia," "Dogs").  Also, in those highly competitive times when
     bands were expected to "progress" with every album, another album of
     unlinked new songs and rock-n-roll oldies would be seen as a sign of
     backsliding.  The Who did attempt a live album (recorded in 1968 at
     Fillmore East) but scrapped it when they didn't think it came up to
     snuff.

     In hindsight, although, it's obvious that The Who did some of their
     best work during this period ("Little Billy," "Magic Bus," the
     rock-n-roll recordings) and I look forward to official releases of all
     this material.  The four known covers recorded in either late '67 of
     mid '68 (or both), "Fortune Teller," "Young Man Blues," "Summertime
     Blues," and "My Way," should all be released as a set.  In fact, a
     cool idea might be to edit the four into a "Who R'n'R medley" and
     release it as one kick-ass single!

     ^By the way, am I the only one out there who thinks Daltrey's "Early
     ^Morning Cold Taxi" is one of THE great lost Who gems?

     I couldn't agree more.  I've loved it since I heard my first hissy
     copy on the "Jaguar" bootleg in 1973.  And for over 20 years I
     wondered whether it was written by Pete or John.  Imagine my surprise!
     P.S. Before its official release, some band release a cover of EMCT.
     Anyone know who and when?