Re: Hendrix's influence

>   Actually, I believe Pete was still using Strats on the '68 tour.  The
>earliest recorded instance I've ever seen of Pete using an SG is the Rolling
>Stones Rock and Roll Circus footage.  As for the difference in sound between
>Monterey and the '68 stuff, I believe this comes almost entirely from the fact
>that Pete wasn't using his usual Marshalls (unlike Hendrix).  He was using
>rented Vox's that just didn't quite deliver the goods.  This was not a problem
>on the '68 tour.

Mike:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. The Who weren't using their own equipment
during the entire tour, as I recall.

> Actually, Pete's comment about Jimi "stealing" his act nothwithstanding,
>it's always been my impression that Pete was pretty much in awe of Hendrix.  I
>think this kind of comes through in his interviews, when the subject comes up.
>In fact, I happen to have an interview with Pete here, where he says of Jimi,
>"I loved him very much," and "I was a stone supporter of his work.  I was
like >a press machine on his behalf."  So I don't really see any antagonism
from Pete
>about Jimi knicking a bit from him.  And I think it's easy to see that Pete
>(like most other London guitarists at the time, apparently) was a huge
>admirer of Jimi's guitar playing.  Fender even talks about how Jimi's use of
>the Stratocaster really put it over the top- it wasn't a hugely popular guitar
>then.  I think Pete may have been one of many who picked up a Strat because of
>Jimi Hendrix.

Pete is the very first thing in the movie Jimi Hendrix. The first interview.
Sure, he supported Hendrix. I think his "stealing" remark was a spur of the
moment thing, even as was the other ("We're finished."). We must keep in
mind Townshend's personality. One minute he's boasting, the next he's
humble, the next he's explaining, the next he's preaching, the next he's
confessing...ya gotta love it! If everything was easy it wouldn't be any fun.

    Cheers                            ML

NP: Wildhearts, "News Of The World"