Subject: Re: PJ covers PT

Dan Senesky wrote:
>I read a review of a Pearl Jam concert they did in SF about a year and a half
>ago, and the review stated they did covers of "My Generation" and "The Real
>Me" during the show.  Is anyone else aware of this?  Does anyone have the
>inside story about that band's apparent love of our beloved Who?  It seems
>that they're the most open about crediting The Who for influences, sounds,
>etc...

        I have a couple of boots of PJ and they've done Baba, My Generation,
The Real Me, The Kids Are Alright, plus a few others I've only heard rumors
of (and they do a damn powerful job. His vocals are really passionate and
really fit Pete's work). If they could do a little less of "Spin The Black
Circle" type stuff, I'd say we might have an aspirant to the crown. They
also have done Another Brick In the Wall part Two by PF and I've Got A
Feeling which I believe is a Beatles song and Master of War by Bob Dylan,
and of course cover songs by punk bands as well as Rockin' In the Free World
by Neil Young.
        Eddie Vedder has been well documented saying how important Pete's
work to him was as well as the Wall by Roger Waters/PF. Also take a listen
to some of the Smashing Pumpkins new work. Heavy Pete influence there as
well. Songs like 1979 are full of the Who's influence (not copying the
Who-influenced by the Who). Ol' Blackie Lawless of the infamous metal band
W.A.S.P. also did an album called the Crimson Idol that was directly
influenced by and in some spots copied from the Who and dedicated to
Pete...though its very cartoony and very metal...but his heart and his angst
were in the right place! W.A.S.P. also did a credible version of The Real
Me. Roger liked it, though said there was no way he could ever sing
(scream?)as high as Blackie does... :)!