Re: The Beatles rights

>>When the new owners put the catalog up for sale again, McCartney
>>suggested to Yoko Oh-no that they make a bid to return ownership
>>back to Lennon & McCartney. He was ready, she said "hold on, I
>>think we can get it for less" and then Whacko Jacko made off with
>>it with an outrageously high bid.
>
> >c) didn't feel like paying for them when MJ bought them???
>
> I'll still apply this one. Per your answer, it seems like he
> wanted to "share" the cost with Yoke-O and while putzing around,
> it was sold to MJ. Other than the fact he didn't want to part with
> the money, WHY would he want to share anything with Yoko??? If I
> were him, I would have bought them myself, and then If I wanted to
> recoup part of my cost, sold 49% to investors so that I still had
> control...

> >I'll still apply this one. Per your answer, it seems like he
> >wanted to "share" the cost with Yoke-O and while putzing around,
> >it was sold to MJ.Other than the fact he didn't want to part with
> >the money, WHY would he want to share anything with Yoko??? If I
>
> I understand your point, but what Paul probably felt he had to,
> whether legally or morally, was to jointly share ownership of the
> songs with Yoko.  Yoko was John's wife, ya know.

Pauls "putzing about" as you put it was not simply his inability to
raise the requisite cash for the purchase (as we know he owns a hell
of alot of other publishing rights including those of the late Buddy
Holly which provided great financial rewards, the celebration of
which was one of Keith Moons last nights on the town) but rather
that Lou Grade the owner of Northern Songs wanted to sell the entire
catalogue rather than the Beatles rights alone (it would have been
worth alot less if he'd done so) but Paul didnt want to buy the
whole thing just the Beatles stuff.

Ross

e-mail : galvinr@ee-wp.bham.ac.uk