Re: More Beatles Influence

>Which raises another question:  what song was Townshend talking about?
>"Helter Skelter" dates from 1968, which, record release-wise, was pretty
>much an off year for the Who.  Could it be that studio version of
>"Young Man Blues" which I've never heard but surely someone else has

James:

The studio version of YMB, which I like a bit better (although how much of
that is not being as familiar with it I cannot say), is NOT heavier than HS.
My guess would be that it was The Who live that got Paulie to think heavy.
Least we forget, John had already been in this territory with Revolution.
And John was always a bit more of a rocker than Paul anyway.

>And as for concept albums is concerned, can anyone answer me this: which was
>released
>first, "The Who Sell Out" or "Sgt. Pepper?"  That is, who would have had
>a chance to listen to whom (no puns intended)?

PEPPER'S was released first, on July 1st 1967. SO came a month or so later
(caught without my reference material here at the store). But I can't see
how it influenced Pete; surely the recording of SO was done by the time
SPLHCB was released.

                Cheers                   ML

NP: X, "Blue Spark"