Re: LAL recording techniques

Mike, re:

> The amps were miked, and the mikes run into the board.  That's how it's
>primarily done today, and I have to assume it was the standard then, even
more so.  I'm not sure that amplifiers then even had "line outs"

Think about what you are actually saying... An "amplifier" generates NO sound
of it's own, it's purpose is to take line level (low wattage) and CRANK it up
to HI WATTAGE in order to feed the speakers. (Think about a stereo receiver
as an "amp". Placing a mike in front of it would do nothing, other than pick
up the sound from another source--ie the speakers)...

The purpose of the "mixing board" is to take the outputs from the various
instruments and redirect them to the amps (ultimately to the speakers) so
that you can hear the various instruments clearly and with somewhat equal
"power"...

For recording purposes, you would never want to record off of the speakers,
but rather at the source (ie the mixing board) as once the signal travels
that far, its no longer "pure". Think about recording a CD through your
stereo hookups, as opposed to sitting with a walkman by your speakers with
the volume cranked...

Hopefully, this makes sense!

-wf