Re: LAL recording techniques

>The instuments are for the most part run into the board, so as to be played
>out of the P.A. speakers. Now, when I was a roadie they didn't mike the amps
>(of course, that was 4 years later and stadiums not small venues), but the

I don't think active pickups were available in 1970, but definitely 4 years
later.

>A good example of the guitars run through the soundboard would be the Dead
>tour of the late 70s...where each string of Garcia's guitar had a separate
>speaker. Naturally that couldn't have done by mikes.

I don't know about JG's guitar but I know Phil Lesh's bass had each string
to it's own amp. But he was using active Alembic pickups in the bass in '74.
The first Alembic bass didn't come until 1971. Now, of course, the LAL
recording could have been made using direct signals from the guitars through
preamps...