Re: The Who Digest Vol 3 Num 74

Let's face it, adolescence sucks. For girls and for guys. Let's not forget,
at the time when Pete was growing up, women were quite opressed, and even
though it may have seemed to a guy that girls had the upper hand, it's not
necessarily true. So when guys were dealing with what they saw as being "at
the mercy of the women," girls had an entirely different set of issues to
deal with. Neither one was necessarily more difficult, but either sex was
oblivious to the trials and tribulations of the other.

Quadrophenia, taken from a very basic level, describes adolescence, and what
a terrible time it is. Anyone can relate to that. You don't have to sit and
ponder the lyrics to every song on the album to understand that. The
important thing is the feeling of the album, something that is universal, and
that everyone that has ever been an adolescent can relate to. That's what
gives it its power. I think that explains its appeal to guys as well as to
girls. I personally believe it paints a very accurate picture of what
adolescence is like for both sexes. Jimmy and I don't have all that much in
common, but I can relate to the way he feels more than I can to actual people
sometimes. Just a thought.

Athena