Re: Hide (sic) Park (DST)

Hi Mick Noland,

Recently, you wrote:

>>Larry wrote: >... Pete finally showed-up to play two songs looking like he
just >got there as he stood in concrete with a very ineffectual performance.<

Gotta strongly disagree there.  Pete's "Who Are You" is the single best version
I've heard of that song.  Considering the circumstances, he had to give a great
performance, and did.  I'm not alone in that opinion--an "ineffectual
performance" wouldn't have had the cello section doing its version of
windmills-cum-mike-twirling. (And probably getting holy hell for it afterwards,
if the conductor's expression carried over to his post-show "autopsy.")
While some of the artists weren't exactly brilliant (and some potentially great
moments--according to those who saw rehearsals--didn't occur because the artists
were no-shows), overall, DST was pretty good.  Too heavy on "the usual" of
course, but that's the nature of a show intended for everyone but Who fans.<<<

While I do like accoustic, I am electric through and through.  "Who Are You",
the song, has never been performed as well live as well as the studio verison,
IMHO.  Some live performances have some definite highlights but do not surpass
the studio version of this song.  Accoustic WAY left much to be desired.  In my
heart of hearts, I need "jacked-up" rock n' roll that seethes electricity and
WAY via the studio version does that for me much better than Pete did on that
version on Debacle Sings Townshend.    I suspect we will both have to politely
agree to disagree.

>>>Pete's performance, while far too short (of course) was the most electrifying
portion of the show.  Not opinion, just fact.<<<

You are right, that was fact, not opinion.  Seeing JAE on lamo (pronounced
lay-mo) Spanish guitar with the Chieftains made my normally huge flesh-bat
resemble a scared turtle.  Watching him on "Real Me" was entertaining but
nowhere near his usual standards, mainly due to due to terrible sound.

Having seen both JAE and Pete in 1996 in a very live, up-close and personal way,
I am glad to see that things have gotten immensely better since Debacle Sings
Townshend.  The energy is still there.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry