Re: Who live retrospective

>That was an interesting letter from the MCA representative. On the live
>Tommy aspect, i.e., whether to use one entire performance or the best songs
>from a series of shows I  have to go with the views expressed by the rep.

Gary:

Well, I think everyone knows by now that I have the other opinion, but I'll
state it once again:
I think that TOMMY live should be from one performance, regardless of the
faults that may be in it. Because I've found that each performance has its
own flow; high and low points, and that is more important to the feel of the
show than each song being performed perfectly. I would not suggest Woodstock
for this, if only because it doesn't have the Overture (which is fantastic
live). Also, there are several flaws in it.
The best live TOMMY performance I've heard is the Amsterdam show. Although
the PA goes out during Sparks-Eyesight. But there must be others (certainly
every performance was recorded by then, as SOP). I haven't heard IOW, so
perhaps that's the best...it has been so suggested before.
Also, on the idea of a two (or three) disc live set...that would be
painfully inadequete. I think that there is enough pre-TOMMY material for a
disc, then T, then some definitive stuff from the `71-72 tour and some QUAD
live for disc three (but better would be an entire performance of Q, even
with the tape problems...as Largo tells us, it was a powerful tour). Then at
least one more disc (taking us to the end), although IMHO it would take two
to do the material justice. Any covers could easily be included as they were
performed. In fact, I would have each song from the period it was first
released during...because I find that that is usually the most powerful
performance.
But no less than a four disc set will do the band justice, unless they were
going to release T on its own. As you say, this is the history of The Who
live. If Tull, Elton John, Jefferson Airplane, Zeppelin, ELP, and others can
have two boxed sets...why the Hell not The Who??? TANJ (There Ain't No
Justice)!!!

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend