Re: Talmy threatens: Erratum

        Yesterday I sent a message detailing how Ray Davies reported in his
     book "X-Ray" that Talmy didn't like the production of "Dead End
     Street," and heard the same recording later and pronounced it OK.

     Checking the book this morning, I see I got it all wrong.
     It seems Talmy was producing "Dead End Street" and was demanding an organ
     be put in which gave the song a cheerier sound that Ray wanted.  Talmy
     refused to let Ray redo it.  But after Talmy injured himself, Ray used his
     absence to remake the track his way.  When Talmy came back Ray played him
     the new version, not telling him he'd rerecorded it, and Talmy said it was
     perfect and there would be no way he'd allow Ray to redo it.  After this,
     Ray said "who needs him?"

     The difference in the story makes it seem Talmy was more of a martinet in
     the studio than merely absent and taking credit as The Who have claimed.

     In another note, if anyone can straighten out the mess of what and why the
     1966 attempt by The Who to escape their contract, I'd love to hear it.  Was
     it:

     (1) They didn't like Talmy's production or Lambert just wanted to get his
     hands on the controls.

     (2) They wanted to escape American Decca and breaking their contract with
     Talmy was the only way out.

                                        -Brian