Re: Talmy threatens

                At first I didn't put a lot of credence in The Who's
     complaints about Talmy's production, or lack thereof, of the 1965
     recordings; after all, look what he did for The Kinks.  Then I read
     Ray Davies' book "X-Ray" which corroborates a lot of it.  Ray tells
     about the last "Shel Talmy" production, "Dead End Street."  Ray
     actually produced it, Shel came in, listened to it, said he didn't
     like it and left.  A few days later Ray played him the same tape and
     Shel gave it the OK.  That's when Ray decided "who needs him?"

                On another note, Shel's got the tapes, but you may notice
     that The Who have been releasing the records since 1971 ("Meaty,
     Beaty, Big & Bouncy") as soon as the 1966 settlement allowed them to
     issue the tracks without having to pay Talmy anything (as part of the
     settlement, The Who had to pay royalties to Talmy on all their albums
     through "Who's Next," which must stick in their gut something fierce).
     My guess is that The Who presently own the rights to the release of
     the recordings while Talmy owns the tapes.  Sounds like a good basis
     for a 30-year lawsuit.

                                        - Brian Cady