Re: Opening act for MSG shows

At 7:46 6/23/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: bkawa@ix.netcom.com (Bruce Kawakami)
>Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 19:40:15 -0700
>Subject: Opening act for MSG shows
>
>Hi again,
>
>Amazing what a little surfing will turn up.   According to Performance,
>Bob Dylan will be playing MSG July 16-18.  It should be noted they
>don't have the last three shows listed for Quad, but one can assume
>Bobby D will play them as well.

<b-HACK>  Wow, I just coughed up a hairball...THAT'S interesting.  I've
seen Dylan twice -- the last time in '75 -- and while I did enjoy the
shows, I can't think of any scenario in which I'd be happy to see him take
stage time away from The 'Oo. I'd just assumed that MSG would be all-Who.

>With a starting time of 8pm and Dylan playing at least an hour, there
>isn't much time for the band to play much more than Quad which will
>take at least a hour and a half.

Are you assuming a shutdown time of 11pm, or what?  I've seen many bands
stick to that (it's union rules that crew time after 11pm is overtime), but
I've also seen some go over.  IOW, even with Dylan opening I'd think our
guys would have time for a two-hour show (or more :-)) if they wanted to.

- ----------

>From: DDAJon@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 01:21:52 -0400
>Subject: Hyde Park
>
>Maybe I'm too sensitive and too concerned with status, but does it bother
>anyone else besides myself that the Who is not headlining the Hyde Park show?
> Clapton is big, for sure, but the Who is bigger and more important and
>should go on last.  The Who shouldn't be anyone's opening act.

Yeah, I agree.  But Clapton's a bigger audience draw in  Ol' Blighty.  In
Oct/Nov. '89 the Who performances sold out only 4 Wembley Arena (not
Stadium) shows and 2 Albert Hall nights.  Two months later, Clapton sold
out two solid _weeks_ of shows at the Albert.  I don't like it but I
understand why it was done this way.

Hey, maybe they'll do a Herman's Hermits repeat -- blow away the audience
so hard that no one cares about Clapton when he comes out.  (Nothing
against Eric, but that'd be a heckuva performance, no?)

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend