Pete and QUAD

Mark L., re:

>I'm sorry, but that attitude smacks of sour grapes. I think that The Who
Plus did fine in `89.<

No, no sour grapes here.  I, too, thought that the Who Plus (as good a term
as any) was great in 89.  I got exactly what I wanted because it was about
the only way I was gonna get it.  I'm not a cynic when I say that Pete has
ulterior motives for doing QUAD this summer, I'm a realist.  You may chew me
up right here if I turn out to be wrong.  But I still say his big thing is
not to celebrate QUAD, but to demonstrate its readiness for a bigger
treatment.  And there's nothing wrong with this per se, but, in a sense, it's
like what Roger said about "using the Who" when it's good for Pete.  Roger
may have been whining a lot in that interview, but this comment has a big
grain of truth to it.

I was at the Who's 89 show in Cleveland.  Now, this summer, I read where
Townshend says he regrets that tour; he had fun, made some money, but still
regrets it.  I guess I don't want to go be a part of something that Pete's
gonna turn on in a couple of years and bemoan.  I honestly don't need the
guys dragging themselves over stages for me anymore.  I have my memories and
it's enough for me.

Have fun while you're there!

- --Jim