Re: Liberals vs conservatives

>hiwatt@deltainet.com (Dennis) wrote:

 if you like a stack of Hiwatts or Marshalls cranked to full
>volume, you are probable conservative, have a sense of humor, enjoy life
>and would rather make your way without government interference.

Well, we know where Dennis stands!  (Are you really going to vote for Dole?
 I suspect the makers of Hiwatts and Marshalls will shudder--in or out of
their graves.)

>  If, on the other hand, you enjoy acoustic guitar and a gentle ballad, you
>are probable liberal, can't laugh at yourself, take things too seriously,
>are miserable with your own personality and would like government to take
>every penny you earn and give it to non-workers.

So how do you label someone who likes to plug an acoustic into a Marshall,
take it to eleven, and rip his fingernails off playing "Keep Me Turning" or
"Heart to Hang On To"?  (Besides deaf masochist--too easy.)  Libertarian, I
guess.

[Political/social stance: mixed.  The govenment should provide services for
the common good which cannot reasonably be provided privately, e.g.,
highways, sewers, defense; and establish/enforce laws which maintain the
values of the Constitution, e.g., freedom of speech, civil rights. The
individual is responsible for maintaining personal values (for example,
pro-choice or anti-abortion) and determining personal future (if you want
more money, work harder).  Society is responsible for maintaining a
separation between the individual good and the common good and determining
compromises between the two, if necessary, e.g., freedom of religion also
means freedom FROM religion.

[Unfortunately, both the individual and society has allowed, and encouraged,
the government to take over their responsibilities.  Example results: the
government attempts to legislate morality (an individual responsibility); the
government forces the individual to support others (through taxes) (a social
responsibility) thus limiting the individual's right to determine his/her own
future.]

And what do you mean, liberals don't have a sense of humor?  We voted for
Clinton, didn't we?

MN