Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #185

>Boy, is there some desparation out there on the Who mailing list!
>I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the genuine article (wild
>loud raucous rock) disappeared from the Who's main makeup in about 78 or 79
>(I'd argue 76, but get a lot of guff about that.)  Look, the band Townshend
>gushed and gurgled over unabashedly is coming to a rock arena near you.
>Yup, even here in stumptown.  So if they're still together by then, I'd
>MUCH sooner see that version.  In fact, their lead singer's solo band
>put on a performance last time I saw him that removed all doubt that he's
>one of the only rock performers over forty who believes what the hell they're
>doing.

Jeff, I dunno. It seems to me that thou doth protesth too much. I've noticed
that there have been quite a few negative statements out there about this
particular incarnation of The Who. And this is what I have to say about that:

If you miss it, you will be missing a great show. Is it The Who in `71? No.
No one expects that. Can it be a great show, especially compared to what
else is out there? Absolutely! Will it be a good time, will it make the
audience happy, will it inspire feelings of joy inside the collective guts
of the listeners? Yes, yes, and yes.
I state my point as someone who saw the `89 tour and got shivers up my spine
when they began Amazing Journey. I felt this incredible feeling of community
as the audience sang along with the beginning of Behind Blue Eyes (akin to
tripping on acid for a few moments). And there were plenty of other moments,
too. My Generation pierced me to my soul. Join Together made me want to
dance, as did I Can't Explain. Baba O'Riley made me catch my breath. I'm A
Man made me shout with joy. And so on...
I expect no less this time around, and I might even become breathless for a
moment when the opening chords of TPMTG blast through the place and have a
tear in my eye when I hear the acoustic guitar in I'm One. Sea And Sand is
bound to get me. As well as Bell Boy.
Will I sing along? I'm sure (with apologies to those around me in the
stadium). Will I have an insane grin plastered on my face hours after the
show? Oh, yes. One of the great things about `89 was after the show, sitting
in the parking area waiting till we could even start the car to attempt to
leave. No one was in a hurry. The Who was playing from car speakers all
around us. Many songs, mixing and flowing as Who fans basked in that last
bit of glow from the concert. It was very mellow, and I'll never forget it.
A definite peak experience, almost spiritual in its feel.
Now, what do you think? Should I be excited? I think I have a pretty
accurate idea of what to expect. Or am I desperate? Hoping against hope that
I will see The Who in their glory days again (and I saw them in `75, so I
have an idea what to judge that on)?
No. I don't think I'm desperate at all. I'm going there to be made happy.
I'm going to enjoy great performers doing my favorite album live. And I can
tell you this even now: as much as I can't afford this trip at this stage in
my business, I'm never going to regret this.

Never.

>Anyways, you get half a guess as to whom that is.

The Sex Pistols, of cuss. Most of them, anyway.

                   Cheers                   ML