O-MSMail-Message-Version: 1

From: pdk@dataweb.nl (Paul de Kievit)
Subject: Tommy in London

A few weeks ago me and my wife had the chance to see the Tommy musical in
London. We thought it was an overwhelming experience, despite all the
lyric
changes. It's very similar to the Broadway version, with no string
section
here in the music ensemble, a great Tommy and captain Walker (great
voice),
very funny Uncle Ernie and a charming Kim Wilde as Mrs. Walker. The show
is
running very well in the 1400 seat Shaftesbury Theatre, though not every
evening is a sold out. It's expected to run until January 1996 at least.
One
warning: watch out for the first chord in the Overture: its played VERY
loud
and it scared the hell out of most people. Lots of merchandise for sale
there, varying from polo shirts and watches to coffee mugs. There's also
new Tommy musical score for 17 pounds with all the new lyrics, but
strange
enough the one new song 'I believe my own eyes' is lacking. Its called
'Pete
Townshend's Tommy' (Pete is definitely banning the name of The Who now)
and
it's published at Fabulous Music Limited,
<<<

Funny - the version JeffW and I saw last week here in Portland was billed
as The Who's Tommy, had no strings, and the first chords of the Overture
were incredibly wienie-like.  In fact, it wasn't until the *end* of the
show, when the whole cast lined up on the front of the stage, completely
dressed in white (Jeff leaned over to me and said "Is this Calvin Klein's
Obsession?") singing the chorus of "Listening to You" that the volume got
anywhere near appropriate.  I respect everyone else's opinions, but the
only thing that overwhelmed me was the urge to fly to London and slap the
crap out of Pete for allowing this to happen.

Q: Did Pete write the new song "I Believe My Own Eyes" (or whatever it's
called)?

From: cuda340@tribeca.ios.com (`cuda 340)
Subject: Re: Calling It The Who Without Pete
        This is very funny.  Maybe not on this list, but I put down The
Who
all the time, probably more that any other band
[...]
        I didn't see The Who in '89, and I didn't even attempt to.  I
regret it now, but at that time, The Who was pretty much in the
background
of the music I most frequently listened to.
[...]
Oddly, I've
come to the conclusion that I did not go see my favorite band because
they
were my favorite band.  If I only had a casual interest in The Who, I
would
have been at those concerts in '89.  What this has to do with anything, I
can't tell ya.
<<<

Stacey:  I know what you mean.  When I was leaving the show at the
TacomaDome in '89 (where Pete skewered his hand on the whammy bar), I
remember thinking "That was a very good show.  I hope they never tour
again."  I have a lot of mixed feelings about this series of shows coming
up.  I just don't have the confidence in them that I used to.  Listening
in on Ian and Mark's raging debate over Roger's vocal demise (which I
believe to be considerable in the last ten years), I simply hope that
they aren't going to end up like the last few Stones tours, where it was
basically 90 minutes of Jagger groaning for $50.

Of course, I may just be jaded because going to NY is simply not an
option for me right now...  :)

From: Jacksonjim@aol.com
Subject: Roger's Voice (and Pete's and John's)
[...]
Let's face it, gang, Daltrey's in his 50s now. He is not gonna be able to
sing like a 20 year old any more.   Even Townshend's voice isn't as
strong as
it was.  This begs the question:  what about Entwistle's voice?  He is
the
most notorious smoker of the lot (seldom is he seen without a ciggie
burning
nearby).  Any comments from those who saw him this winter? Or was the
volume
to loud to really guage any vocal performances?
<<<

I saw John twice this winter and his voice was very rough.  I think part
was due to the tremendous volume, causing him to scream much more than
sing.  But I also think that time and nicotine are taking their toll on
John's voice (and hearing).

Sorry for all the "neg-uh-tive waves"  (trivia question:  what film is
that phrase from?  Hint: it starred Clint Eastwood).

OK,
KLW