Re: There's Mr. Plant, then there's ROGER DALTREY

> >You win hands down in this debate (I finally felt defeated for once,
> >except when you use politics and rationalization, please turn to the
> >current events of the Clinton campaign for my undoing, Reagan was
> >NEVER this silly).
>
> Ian:
>
> Perhaps not, but he was asleep at the wheel and Nancy was feeding him his
> lines. I don't remember voting for Nancy.
> Well, I didn't vote for Ronnie either.
> Remember the pumpkin with "stay the course" carved in it? Nothing Clinton
> has done can touch that. He's just a womanizer. Big deal.

Just a womanizer?  He's a crook hiding behind his wife as a bullet proof
shield.  Rationalize away whitewater, Vincent Foster, and the FBI files.
If they only had tapes.  But this isn't a politcal mailing list so I'll
end it here.  "I didn't inhale".

> I noticed Rog's voice starting to go on Entwistle's Had Enough, which is on
> WHO ARE YOU.

It may have failed him on a couple of notes, but he didn't lose any of
the ferocity that's missing on FD and IH.

And I wouldn't say that Plant was THE best vocalist...just one
> of the best. Daltrey (the same year) was also as strong. I use as my
> evidence of Daltrey's vocal strength Live At The Fillmore 1968...he was
> there! It doesn't show on the TOMMY album except during Smash The Mirror
> ("YOU don't answer my call...") and somewhat on Sally Simpson.
> Ian Gillian...I've always seen him as the ultimate Plant imitator. I like
> it, though.

I never saw Gillan as a Plant imitator because I've heard the pre "In
Rock" singles where he clearly shows his own style.  In fact I don't
think it's a mystery why they chose him to sing on the Jesus Christ
Superstar album, he could've done well on broadway with that role.

> But Daltrey still has his moments...on Live Aid he ends Love Reign O'er Me
> very well. I think his voice may be 80% of what it was at its peak. At
> least, on DST.

I say 50%.  He has the same problem as plant that he can't hit those high
ones anymore.  Amazing Journey is good evidence on DST the PPV special.