Re: There's Mr. Plant, then there's ROGER DALTREY

>You win hands down in this debate (I finally felt defeated for once,
>except when you use politics and rationalization, please turn to the
>current events of the Clinton campaign for my undoing, Reagan was
>NEVER this silly).

Ian:

Perhaps not, but he was asleep at the wheel and Nancy was feeding him his
lines. I don't remember voting for Nancy.
Well, I didn't vote for Ronnie either.
Remember the pumpkin with "stay the course" carved in it? Nothing Clinton
has done can touch that. He's just a womanizer. Big deal.

>Now as far as Roger goes I always thought he hit his stride during
>the '69 Tommy tour.  On the Tommy album, you still hear Roger before
>he gained that incredible depth and texture he's known for on
>WN/Quad.  As for his decline, it happened AFTER Who Are You.  The '82
>tour is quick evidence that Roger can't scream anymore (as someone
>mentioned "Love"...damn that's sad).  As for his regular singing
>voice it's become quite raspy and isn't really the singer he once
>was.  Plant may have just been the best rock singer up till '71, but
>after that Roger ruled for at least 3-5 years thereafter.  If anyone
>brings Ian Gillan into this argument you lose out.  I used to believe
>that the greatest screamer (and Ian beat Plant out by far) in rock
>but quickly realized that depth and feeling count for something.

I noticed Rog's voice starting to go on Entwistle's Had Enough, which is on
WHO ARE YOU. And I wouldn't say that Plant was THE best vocalist...just one
of the best. Daltrey (the same year) was also as strong. I use as my
evidence of Daltrey's vocal strength Live At The Fillmore 1968...he was
there! It doesn't show on the TOMMY album except during Smash The Mirror
("YOU don't answer my call...") and somewhat on Sally Simpson.
Ian Gillian...I've always seen him as the ultimate Plant imitator. I like
it, though.
But Daltrey still has his moments...on Live Aid he ends Love Reign O'er Me
very well. I think his voice may be 80% of what it was at its peak. At
least, on DST.

                   Cheers                   ML