RE: Calling it the Who without Pete...

Q107 in Toronto played an interview just before PD where Pete said that
(paraphrasing from the old bad memory) "When Roger and I get together,
there is something special, just like when Paul and Artie get together,
it's Simon and Garfunkel.  What we have to avoid is the temptation of
calling it The Who".

I know that what i see in '96 will be different than '82.  What i find
interesting is that it is being implied that '96 won't be as good as
'82.  Well, Pete isn't able to put as much into it, because of the
hearing thing, but i'll tell you, he was giving 150% in '93.  Not
necesarily on the ppv show, but when he was in Toronto.  I'm sure every
die hard fan who saw him on the tour cringed when they saw him that
night.  It's not that the ppv was that bad, but it was not what i
believe to be representative of the rest of the tour.
Have the people who are "dreading" these shows actually seen any of the
guys solo stuff from the last 3-4 years?  It was GREAT!  They are out
there defining what an older rock star can do.  Everyone understands
that an old blues guy, say John Lee Hooker (to keep the Who content),
can play until he's 100 (ok, in his '70's), but we resent the fact the
Entwistle LOVES to be up on stage?  Hey, it's all he knows how to do.
I respect the fact that Pete is travelling unchartered ground recently,
trying new things.  Could the Stones take any of their albums and stage
it on Broadway? I doubt it. (Ok, that's a poor excuse for a slap at the
Stones, but hey, you can see where my loyalties are).
I'd like to think that many of today's younger artist are learning from
Pete how to keep your career going into your 50's.  Is he a perfect role
model? No, he has said many goofy/contradictory things over the years.
Is anyone else doing it better?  Not that i can see.  The rule has
always been that R&R is a young man's game.  Back to the Stones again
for a second.  I read in People this week, a short interview with
Charlie Watts.  He was asked about their last 4-5 albums, and he said
the "Stripped" was their best in many years.  Hmmm.  Wasn't it
revisiting old material?
So the Stones can do it and it's an artistic stretch.  The Who does it,
and it's wallowing in one's past.  The public is fickle.
All i know, is that hearing the orchestra perform Quad with Roger and
John a couple of years back was AWESOME.  It brought a tear to my eye,
as i stood there transfixed.  I also remember Pete crouching low, while
waiting for Ruth and Rastus to finish bantering before leaping on the
riser to thrash into "Make me real".  The look on his face told you that
he believed in what he was doing.
This may not be the case 10 years from now.
You can sit at home and and debate how they should not be doing this, or
you can go to the show and be part of something extraordinary.

Mike