Re: An I for an eye

Andy, re:

<< My question is this:  In the "press release/cue sheet"  they included
Pete's "fact sheet/press release" about Iron Man, and he makes reference to
the musical, and the musical themes that will link the pieces in the stage
show.  About two months ago someone offered to sell me a boot of "IM"
outtakes--all unfinished music.  After a halfhearted listen I was pretty
convinced it was garbage and not what it purported to be, and told the seller
so in pretty strong terms.  But running across that fact sheet last night
reawakened my curiousity.  Do you know if there was unfinished music from
IM--was I a schmuck, in other words?

"Schmuck"??? Hey, that depends on how you feel for the moment... "Iron Man"
WAS intended as a 2 LP release, but between the record companies and timing
of the Who tour, it wasn't. On the promo video, Pete says, "If anyone yells
loud enough, I'll send them the rest of the album!" (or similar) I believe
"Iron Man" was also done on stage in London... As you probably know, "Man
Machines" (full version) &  "Real World" (jazzy instrumental) were released
as "b" sides to the "A Friend Is A Friend" single, 12" and import CD single.
"Dig" (the demo) was released on the CD single of "I Won't Run Anymore"... As
for other "out-takes", I personally haven't seen any, but I'm sure they are
around. One thing to keep in mind, QUALITY is everything. While it might be
nice to have something for "collecting" sake, what's the point if it's
painful to listen to...

>>BTW--I listened to my LP version of IM for the first time in years last
night (another radio station freebie) and certain pieces (All Shall Be Well,
A Fool Says) seemed shorter than on the CD.  Am I imagining things? >>

Yes, you ARE imagining things. The CD got released shortly after the LP. They
didn't think of things like that back then... ..and they still don't "think"
today...

- -wf