Spmebody Saved Pete

I think that saying that Pete was referencing an actual person in SOMEBODY
SAVED ME when he said "I never leaned on a person like I leaned right
then/and when I finally woke up clean my friend was dead/stone dead" is
inaccurate.  If the song is tightly autobiographical, then the friend is
likely not Kit Lambert because Lambert died in April, 1981, and Pete didn't
go through his detox until late 81/early 82.  It's more likely that Pete is
being metaphorical in this line.  Perhaps he's talking about all those people
and friends that he knew who had used drugs and died and how his
understanding of them and what happend to them was a part of Pete's
motivation to get clean.  In other words, when Pete "woke up clean," so many
of his friends were "stone dead" (Hendrix, Lambert, and Moon come immediately
to mind).  I think to attribute Pete's lyric to a specific physical person is
too concrete an interpretation.

Jim