Re: Townshend's Crappy Schecter

Eric-

re:
>why he ever made the switch to those crappy Schecters is beyond me<

Have you ever spent three hours a night for months on end with a Les Paul
around your neck?  They weigh a TON.  I imagine that's why he switched.  As
far as them being crappy goes, Schecter started out as a high-end "parts
only" company, and was putting together custom guitars for certain people
long before they launched production instruments--Mark Knopfler and Billy
Gibbons were other early Schecter players.  The Schecter Townshend you bought
was almost certainly a production job, not even launched until 1985 when
Schecter's quality was starting to slip a little (I remember the ads for that
guitar--it was leaning against a pinball machine with the caption "WHOs'
guitar is this?").  Plus which, you mentioned that your guitar had
"Ultrasonic" pickups on it--if I'm not mistaken those pickups were designed
to put out a totally flat output so that with a good EQ you could make it
sound like anything.  Without good EQ they sound...well totally flat.   I
played with a guy once who had a Schecter Strat copy with those pickups (I
think they're called Ultrasound, actually) and a great EQ, and he could make
a Strat sound like a Rickenbacker, a Gibson, and a Strat just by playing with
the EQ.  So to sound like Pete, either get better EQ or put some "regular"
humbuckers back in that thing (Plus which I imagine Pete's Hiwatts were
souped up somewhat--I've never been able to get his sound out of a stock Lead
100 and doubt you'll be able to either).  And if you're still convinced it's
crappy, tell me how much you want for it.  I'm always looking for good
guitars.

Anybody else have comments?

H&K
AThosWhite