Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey

> I said that the song was based on Blues, if you'll look back a few notes.
> But the song, as recorded, bares little to no relation to a Blues song. Tell
> you what: name the Blues song that MG was based on. Find one pre-Generation
> that sounds even similar. I'm not talking about the demo, or an acoustic
> version....I'm talking about My Generation (as it was recorded).

Exactly Mark, you're talking about the recorded Who version, but you
can't see beyond what this song would sound like stripped.  I've already
diagnosed this song in it's popular form for reasons why it IS the first
rock song yet you let this go by the wayside.  You were telling me about
YRGM being based on the blues because Ray said so on his recent solo
tour.  Are you now going to tell me that YRGM in it's recorded form isn't
an innovation away from rock?  Yet I've read the same thing about MG
which Pete talks about MG being originally based on the blues (not
altered mind you like your supposed "Memphis Tenn" version (try 12 bar
blues first)) mentioning Jimmy Reed.  The fact is My Gen in it's recorded
form IS an innovation, BUT it doesn't escapse the basis of the blues,
pure and simple, just like YRGM.  First of all, you have to think of what
is really the blues?  The blues means hardship, pain, etc. What does Pete
write about?  Where do you think he got these ideas?  Could it be his
friends record collection?  The American who had tons of jazz, blues and
R+B albums??

> Rooted in Jazz, you mean. Blues grew out of Jazz, you know...from Gospel an
> C&W as I mentioned earlier.

As I said in another post, this isn't true.  The Blues is the basis for
black music in America.  If you believe this then it's no wonder why
you're wrong.  What you call Gospel in 1865, is really the blues.
Remember Gospel are songs that make you feel proud, inspired.  The songs
the slaves sang were far from that, they were depressing, pain, troubled.
The Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War seven years ago should help.
The CD of the documentary is better proof.  And again, the Blues NEVER
EVER grew out of jazz.  If it wasn't for the blues, we wouldn't have
jazz. This is pretty apparent in the early Atlantic singles of the late
40's.  (a much later example but still applies).

All popular music came from this source, and if
> you want to trace it back far enough it all comes from Folk or Minstrel.
> I'm not denying that the song CAME from Blues, but it was done (structured)
> in a new way...one that broke the stranglehold Berry/Blues had on RnR.
> That's all I've ever claimed for the song.

Because the song opened up with chords?  Is that all?  Think of My Gen
plucked in single notes, it's not far from the blues at all.