Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey

>At  1:28 PM 96.5.30 -0400, Mark Leaman wrote:
>
>>Rooted in Jazz, you mean. Blues grew out of Jazz, you know...
>

>Actually, it was the other way around: jazz grew out of blues.

>Started what?  There were plenty of guys doing "country blues" before
>Robert Johnson.

Chris:

Jazz came from three main sources: Minstrel shows, Ragtime (late 1800s,
that), and what is called the Stride style of piano playing. Blues came a
bit later, at least commercially. And what I'm talking about as far as
Johnson is concerned is the Blues form we are now familiar with...the one
which is the basis for Rock music. Delta Blues. We could argue back and
forth about which song was the first Blues song (or whatever), but what we
call The Blues came from Robert Johnson.
However, I would be remiss by not mentioning two others that were equally
important: Huddie Ledbetter (aka Leadbelly) and more importantly Blind Lemon
Jefferson. They were just as important in the development of Blues (as we
know it), they just weren't as "known." And still aren't, for that matter.
They slipped even my acute mind there for a while.
OK?
BTW, Yellow...ever wonder why Vedder named that song Yellow Ledbetter? Now
you know at least part of the answer.

                   Cheers                   ML