Re: coolwalkingsmoothtalkingstraightsmokingfirestoking

Thanks for the through job you did in reviewing the new cd plus your other
comments.  Scary, we share similar opinions about what "should" have gone
on, and I'm wondering if we were separated at birth, or something.

I question what Atlantic is really attempting to do with this "best-of"
collection.  If they are trying to make a "Pete breakthrough" that reaches
a mass audience, I can't see this happening.  If they are trying to get
Who and P.T. fans to purchase, I don't feel they included enough "extras" to
truly entice.  Sure I'm curious about this "Uneasy Street" ditty and the
E. Cola thing, but not enough to shell out $15.99.  Perhaps this doesn't make
me the Who Fanatic that I once was, but at least back then L.P.'s were,tops,
$6.99.  Heck, I bought Two's Next back then just for the "My Wife" cut.

I think it says a lot that Pete seems to have completely surrendered song
selection to a committee at Atlantic who, perhaps, only respected the bottom
line -- a committee who would never even THINK of leaving "Face the Face"
off due to its chart(s) success (not to rip on FTH but I think Townshend over-
emphasizes it).

I know that Atlantic could not please everyone, and I'm not accusing them
of, necessarily, "selling out." I just wish the collection was more
attractive...

For what it's worth, in regards to "Misunderstood" and "Street in the
City," these two are not even close to being the best tracks on RMix.
How about "Keep Me Turning," "Heart to Hang..." .  Funny thing is, after
buying RM for Pete I think I actually love the Ronnie Lane song "April
Fool" more than anything.  It tears my gut out for some reason -- AND I think
it is Clapton's most underrated (for that matter: unknown) great guitar
solo ever.

P.S. I agree with you about wishing people to be  more civil on the chatline,
and
I think I would prefer if people would.  But then I have to question what
the true nature of this chatline is.  Maybe politeness should be honored, but
then on the other hand, perhaps a "warts and all" open discussion is
"truer."  If I have a vote, I think it should be very bad form to
intentionally hurt, with the mighty keyboard, another fellow Who fan's
feelings.  Some of you'all can be mighty grumpy out there!  Lighten Up, eh?

Pleasant dreams, Henry