Re: PageySun Dec 7 14:51:22 PST 1997

On Wed, 29 May 1996 17:17:53 -0400, ScottyTee@aol.com wrote:

><<My point would also be that Page didn't do anything that Clapton, Green,
>and
>Beck (among others) weren't already doing. How could Zep come across as so
>incredible to anyone who had heard FRESH CREAM the year before? Or Fleetwood
>Mac with Peter Green? Or The Yardbirds with Beck, for that matter?>>
>
>Mark-
>
>I'm a big fan of all the guitar players you mentioned.  Fleetwood was
>definitely the blues.  Green was a great blues player.  Clapton too.  Cream
>went further than Mac of that era, blending blues with jazz (rhythmically and
>form-wise, but not harmonically) and psychedelia.  Beck at this period was a
>blues player, although he has always defied definition, IMHO.
>
>Page, on the other hand, has (since at least 68) blended many styles into the
>"Zep Genre".  Blues, R&B, C&W, Middle Eastern, English Folk, etc.  And let's
>not forget that damn bow!  I would have to disagree with your statement "that
>Page didn't do anything that Clapton, Green, and Beck (among others) weren't
>already doing. "

OK, how about Page was never one-half the guitar player that any of
those others is? I really don't give a damn how many styles Page could
incorporate. I mean, it isn't like I'm going to buy someone's album
just so I can trace all the possible roots of what they are playing.
As a blues player, Green was the best of that bunch (and I bet Clapton
would be the first to agree). Green was just scary sometimes, he was
so good (and I heard he is starting to play again). Beck is the best
guitar player to have ever come through the Yardbirds, and I never
quite figured out why he never got the attention the other two did.

Just so that we don't miss a possible Who content here, what is the
connection between Jeff Beck and the Who?

Kevin B. O'Brien
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"God made an idiot for practice. Then He made a school board."
                                         Mark Twain