Re: BBE vs. STH

Mark Leaman wrote

> It wasn't I who said they were a joke, or that Stairway was a

OK, so we're arguing different points.

> >> I use the ML ear guide to great music. OK, I've been able to pick out the
> >> quality bands since the early '70s...and time has proven me right, so far.
> >Funny, I could say that exact same paragraph about my own taste in music.

> I can only stand on my research and track record. I wouldn't call it taste,
> either...some of the bands I didn't like, even though I could recognize
> their quality.

Again, ditto.

> You don't know that yet, do you? And I'm not going to get into arguing about
> individual albums or bands "beating" Zep. The fact remains that many bands
> have outsold LZ.

I still question that.  What sort of sales are you talking about?
Within a year?  Are you talking about rock albums, or all albums?
What do you think of Dark Side of the Moon sales, which is one of the
better selling albums in the long-term?

> So argue. Them's the facts, as they say around here. If you listen to The

Admittedly, I don't know the entire history of the era.  But I have
never in my life until this week heard anyone suggest that The Who and
My Generation was the first rock song ever.  Or the first hard rock
song, or whatever it is you're saying.  I don't have to argue it, you
do.  You put forth the pretty ambitious claim that it's the first rock
song, that Townshend invented the whole genre, whatever genre you're
referring to.  Seriously, is this a general feeling world-wide, your
own pet idea, a little theory on this e-mail group, or what?  If this
is so obvious a fact, why isn't PT constantly being introduced as the
man who invented rock n' roll, or similar garbage?
--
- Brad Goldman
 (Brad@jimmy.harvard.edu)