Re: BBE vs. STH/Popularity

>On Mon, 27 May 1996, Mark Leaman wrote:
>
>> And I'd like to see what non-HM bands you think were influenced by Zep. I
>> can't think of any, offhand.
>
>AC/DC, Guns & Roses, Rush, Tea Party are some of the obvious ones, though
>there are several who aren't as strictly influenced solely by Zep (the
>ones that when asked say 'oh the normal stuff' which usually includes Jimi,
>Clapton the Who, Zep, and all the other giants of that era)

Shane:

Well now, I've never heard Tea Party, but the rest you mention are certainly
Heavy Metal (or were in their time, like Rush).
AC/DC wasn't HM? C'mon now!

>Actually my point was not that LZ was better than the Who, but that one
>can't say that the Who is better than LZ either, even if they know music
>in depth.  If everyone hated it so much and it's such a mediocre song why
>is it one of the first 5 songs many guitarists learn to play?

Well, the answer to that is obvious. It's easier to play.
And impressive, since it sounds like it's not easy to play.
Why did you think? Because it's so mammoth? In the words of George Bailey:
"Nope, nope, nope..."

I'm one who CAN say that The Who were better than Zep, without the slightest
pang of regret. LZ at best did 3 classic albums, whereas The Who clock in at
7 (only if you count TOMMY & QUAD as one album each)...Zep had 5 great years
while The Who had 11.
Nope. Not the slightest pang.

                   Cheers                   ML