Re: Blood and Thunder!

At 21:05 26/05/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I'd have to agree with Gary... it seems what grabs me the most about The Who
>is the fact that they can mesh the greatest sound and intensity
>unconsciously, usually with the seperate members of the band flying in so
>many different directions, to create an equal part of something much greater
>than the individual components.  AQOWHA is by and far my fav, as well as the
>extended, blood-letting version of Summertime Blues from the Pure Rock
>Theater cd.... you can reach out and bite the electricity and power in the
>air............POWER AND VOLUME/POWER AND VOLUME     DAz
>
>Well I can only agree in turn with DAz' sentiments. Regarding Pure Rock
Theatre, the version thereon of Young Man Blues is also the quintessence of
the heavy metal rock, but heavy in that unmistakeably "intelligent" Who
fashion (which makes all the difference from the Who's 70's-90's emulators).
One of my favourite live Who tracks is a version, at a show in the early
70's, of I Don't Even Know Myself. I heard this on a vinyl boot  first
released in the mid-70's. The block chords on this version have a nuclear
power to them that is just mind-boggling. Had the studio track sounded even
a quarter as powerful, this song would in time have been acknowledged as a
Who masterpiece on a par with WGFA, say. Unfortunately, I've lost this
record since switching to CDs many years ago. Can one of the listers who is
up on the Who's bootleg "catalogue" guess at the name of this boot, whose
name I can no longer can recall? One assist I can give is that during the
between song patter PT speaks at one point of having just completed a tour
of U.S. East Coast industrial cities... Also at one point he invites the
audience to clap along to the beginning of a song, I think Magic Bus, in, he
says, "the traditional rock and roll fashion", these last words being
enunciated in his inimitable, sardonic-but-endearing fashion. There is also
a killer version of BBE on this boot on which Roger's lines during the intro
are punctuated by emphatic electric chords from Pete.....Gary M.