Cocaine is organic

>>From: sharkbait@juno.com (Mike Schmidt)

>>On Fri, 26 Jul 1996 12:57:59 -0400 mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
>>writes:
>>
>>>BTW, I see you list Cocaine, which is after all organic...
>>
>>Jeez. Another brain damaged retard I have to respond to.  'Cocaine' is
>>not organic. Coca leaves is. There's some kind of 'gasoline' that needs
>>to process it as a finished product. And I can't recall what kind and
>>basically I don't care!
>>
>>Mike

Sorry, Mike, but I think you better apologize to Mark because cocaine IS
MOST DEFINITELY organic.  The definition of organic in chemistry is "a
carbon based compound".  Things like metal and salts are not organic (they
are "inorganic"), BUT COCAINE SURE IS!!! (I knew all those years getting a
master's degree in organic chemistry would be useful someday).  P.S. The
"process" you are refering to is called extraction.  Do us a favor and go
directly to high school chemistry again, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Susan Bentjen
Washington State University
Dept. of Chemistry - 4630
Pullman, WA  99164-4630