Re: Cheers for HBO and Westwood One

At 01:50 PM 7/24/96 EDT, Ken wrote:

>Wasn't it great to hear the Thurs show on WW1 and
>see part of it on HBO!!

     Well, living in the five-years-behind-any-
contemporary-civilization-area-of-Louisville-
Kentucky, I didn't have a local station carrying
the WW1 simulcast -- some syndicated thing called
"Bubba the Love Sponge" instead ... "pinch me to
see if I'm sleeping; maybe it's only a nightmare!"
Being too scornful of TV and too cheap for luxuries
I don't use, I don't have HBO, either. *But* A
friend taped the show, which I have seen twice. I
was at Hyde Park; the HBO chop-job was an abomination
IMO.

>I feel sorry for those who don't know Quad - they
>wouldn't have any idea what was going on.

     That's *precisely* why I despised it, coupled
with the fact that the TV stereo sound was mixed
too high as broadcast. Not a problem for those who
run everything through the stereo equalizer, but the
point remains that folks saw a collection of mostly
unfamiliar singles with a tin-can sound. Quad is a
story & should've been telecast as such. And while
I'm moaning, I suppose it's worthwhile to say that
the cameras were too light-sensitive: the overcast
was considerably darker -- and more atmospheric --
than the TV suggested.

>HBO, in trying to be democratic ...

     Agreed -- should have been a three-hour
telecast with Quad and everyone else, split into
two programs.

Bob
Bad defeats Good then self-destructs ...