QUAD in NY, a personal experience.

Hi everybody,

On Saturday and Sunday I went to my first Who concerts in my life
and that was fantastic, I really enjoyed the shows and I'll share
some of my experiences with you.

SATURDAY
I arrived at JFK at around 5:15pm -no kidding- and I rushed to the
hotel which fortunately is located only 2 blocks from the garden. I
only had tickets for Sunday but I had in mind the post "..around
8:05...$25...good seats.." so after I dropped my backpack on the bed
(7:40pm) I rushed again to the garden. They were right, some
scalpers were desperate so I got section 121 row A; pretty good for
$25. Entering the garden I passed by a group of friends helping a
blind Who fan, that was touching. Some seconds later I found a more
or less 55 years old lady, and pretending surprise (kidding, of
course) I asked her "Are you coming to see The Who ma'am?", she
answered very friendly "Yes"; she looked like a healthy, fulfilled
and happy grandmother; that was touching too. It was around 8:00pm
when I sat and I was really excited and nervous thinking about The
Who and the current day that I did not pay attention to the openers.

The concert was a blast, incredible; my favorite band ever was
right there. During my dear songs I was moved to tears and picked
details I hadn't noticed before. After "Love, Reign O'er Me" the
crowd stand-ovationed for some minutes before the band came back to
the stage for the encores. "Behind Blue eyes" sounded beautiful and
peaceful and almost all of us were singing along; the song sounded
to me like a Who anthem, a lovely sad song contrasting with the
energy released in the concert.

I was so happy I could enjoy the show with no problems, you know,
Who fans... Actually, a stoned-drunk guy in my back spilled some
beer on my shoes while he was dancing but he was harmless and just
once in a while he shouted like if they were nailing him to a cross.
When Pete made the joke of "refunding our money" due to the
technical problems they had, the guy began shouting "Play Quad
again!!!!". Besides the continuous smell of pot and another fellow
who fell down and hit his face on the floor (he was OK) nothing else
worth mentioning happened.

After the show I went to the Molly Wee but I was so exhausted that
I barely exchanged some words with Gary and took a look to a few
other members. I needed to sleep, it was a long day.

SUNDAY
At 10am I found myself taking a stroll around Times Square and
decided to visit the Empire State Building, interesting. I continued
walking around taking pictures and then I headed to the
Metropolitan Museum of Art. Great museum, I spent there much more
time than I planned that I did not have time to visit another one.
It was 4:00pm when I found myself eating some fruit in Central Park
watching people passing by. It was a beautiful day. A pretty girl
was posing for some pictures taken by her boyfriend, I believed;
"What a gorgeous smile she has" I thought.

Around 5:00pm I was shopping looking for some T-shirts for my
daughters and then I went to the Molly Wee. Very nice people there,
very interesting souls. I envy you New Yorkers, you not only have a
great city but you are also blessed with such lovely and educated
female Who fans: Amira, Stacey, Amy... definitely 3 hours is nothing
and I regret I could only talk for only some minutes with Bernd and
other fans. I also met Jason and it really felt good to see those
young Who fans. We left the bar around 8:40, who was the opener? Who
knows!

Although I did have two tickets for the show (my friend could not
make it) the hunt for scalpers began again; I wanted a better seat.
Now, this was horrible guys, I found a scalper so sad and depressed
that after some words he was giving me one ticket (section 331) for
FREE, he thought I had no ticket. I couldn't accept that, I said "No
thanks man, I already have a better one". On 7th Av., around 8:50,
I began a discussion with this other guy about the laws of Economy
and finally he accepted $20 plus my two section-304 tickets for one
section-12-row-D ticket. While making the final details of the
transaction, a smiling policewomen approached us and the guy told
her "I'm not scalping him, officer", I added "That's right, I have
MY tickets" and showed them to her but I was thinking: "Actually I'm
scalping him". Anyways, I ran to the garden and found my seat
minutes before the show began.

Great show again. I have no words to describe the emotions of
listening to The Who again. I also think the show was better than
Saturday's. Before beginning the encores, Pete took off his jacket
to play the acoustic, his body language was "Here I go", he was
really enjoying himself. BBE was beautiful again and WGFA sounded
very nice too.

Well, after the concert 'I had to go running then' so I couldn't go
to the Wee. I headed to the airport to begin my trip back to Texas.
What a weekend guys! Hopefully I see you in Dallas!

Jose