A Somewhat Quick Review of 7/21

Well, I just got back from Sunday night's show.  All in all, very good.  I
was a tad frustrated tonight, mainly because last time I went (17th), it
was a) my first WHO show and b) the night that I was on the floor.
Tonight Pam and I were up in the 340s so the music wasn't as loud, and I
couldn't really stand up.

However, that meant that tonight I spent a bit more time thinking about
the music and observing the musicians:

Jon Carin.  Quite a tough job for the man, when you think about it.  His
synth parts can get a bit complex.  Good job.

Simon Townshend.  I really enjoy his voice, actually.  And I was at Molly
Wee's tonight- I couldn't find anybody who went to his show.  Someone post
a review please, if you went....

John Entwistle.  Tonight he laughed when he was introduced.  Not loud
enough, again.  Pam and I saw him during WGFA through binoculars, drinking
in the corner.  Kind of sad, I think.

Jody Linscott.  When she was on the Tommy tour, I could hear her.  I think
she's extraneous for this tour, does anybody know any numbers where you
can really hear her, other than the timpanis before LROM?

Gary Glitter.  His timing is slowing down...

Billy Idol.  I was pleased with him on the 17th.  Stacey warned me that he
was beginning to do his Billy Idol-ish bullshit.  She was right, and now
I'm scared for tomorrow night.

Pete Townshend.  Pete has been having a lot of fun with this, I believe.
As each song goes by, he looks like he's really ENJOYING it.  He has let
loose a lot more, dancing around, windmilling in spots, stretching for
high notes (finally hit the high note on "let me be CALM" in Drowned), and
he ended WGFA with 5 leaps towards center stage.

To me, the musical quality (excluding volume) sounded just as tight as it
did the other night, except John is still too soft.  5:15 has escalated to
an AMAZING number.  I mean, we're talking about quite the overplayed Who
song, but this song is just flying.  The crowd knows the song, the band
loves it, and John is amazing.

The encore pissed me off again.  Behind Blue Eyes, WGFA, Substitute..then
Pete goes up to the mike and says something to the effect of, "we're going
to try something here..." so I'm thinking, "YES!!  DREAMING FROM THE
WAIST!  BRING IT ON, TOWNSHEND!!!"  Instead, he goes, "we're going to try
this song at double speed...the speed metal version!" and goes into a
faster, shorter "Magic Bus."

I fucking hate Magic Bus.

Don't get me wrong, the way they're doing it is great, but why can't they
try something ELSE?  Mason, I'm partially angry at you for getting my
hopes up :-)  BTW, tonight, during Magic Bus, Pete said, "you know, it's
not really a BUS....it's a metaphor for something else <evil
grin>...everything has its price...pay me in cash..."

I missed the opening act.  Oh well.  I was too busy enjoying the fine
company at Molly Wee's.  I hope to see you all again tomorrow night.  Pam
will not be with me :-( :-( :-( :-( but I am bringing my other friend Meg
:-) :-) :-) :-) and she's a giant Who fanatic too so we can all chat.

Mark, since college happens around September, I won't be able to make it
to WhoFest, which is really annoying because I would love to go.
Hopefully it will last a few years and then I can go after college :-)

'night, all.  Here's hoping the Who tries some special stuff for closing
night.

Jay

PS There is now no doubt in my mind that this tour is going further.
Maybe they'll play Rich Stadium and I can catch the tour in Buffalo as
well :-)

              Jason Hare  <hare@acsu.buffalo.edu>
	     "Rust Repairer and Full Time Survivor"- Keith Moon
		http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~hare
      		   "Time is fleeting" RHPS
        Funny how the pages turn and hold us in between.... - Brian May