My Brief Review of 7/18

Well, now EVERYBODY has been posting reviews, so I guess there's not too
much to say...but I like this little numbering thing that I do, so I'll
continue, in somewhat order of appearance:

1.  First Highlight of My Evening- Molly Wee's.  I had a BLAST meeting
everybody!  I didn't know if it was gonna be weird, but it was fun putting
faces to all the names.  Let's see, I saw Rich (well, OBVIOUSLY...with his
little wallet photo of his McWhatever friends :-) ), Stacey, Bruce, Tim,
Mark, Bernd, Alan, Joel, John, and a bunch of others that I'm forgetting
at the
moment...my apologies...in any case, it was wonderful to meet all of you.

2. Next Highlight- "Nobody calling on the phone....except for Pete
Townshend maybe in Rome...." Poor Joan. She was trying so hard.

3. QUADROPHENIA.  Holy Fucking Shit.

4. Roger Daltrey- Still My Hero.  Joel told me that he looked my age, but
I doubt that, considering I look about 12 years old.  In any case, his
voice was in great shape, microphone twirling was just ehhh, but he was
fantastic.

5. Gary Glitter- No Longer An Asshole.  In the whole scheme of things, he
wasn't bad at all.  I actually enjoyed him.  He was a bit late on cues,
but I was really worried that they were all gonna go off-sync.  Didn't
happen.  My only regret is that Pete didn't sing "I have to be careful not
to preach..." during Punk.

6. Phil Daniels- Looks Like Dana Carvey.  Take It Or Leave It.

7. Ozzy Osbourne- With His Hair Back, He Now Looks Like Meat Loaf.

8. Billy Idol- Suprisingly Good.  It wasn't the leather jacket, asshole
Billy Idol.  It was Billy Idol acting out a part.  And although his
singing on "I've Had Enough" and "Sea And Sand" wasn't very good, his
"Bell Boy," IMHO, would have made Keith happy.  His little looks on "I got
to get running now" were to die for.  And when he had trouble carrying all
the luggage off stage, Rog kicked him in the ass.  Wonderful.

9. Simon Townshend- Was it a conscious choice to switch the two verses of
The Dirty Jobs, because both he and Gilmour did it...did he do it this way
on Tuesday night?  In any case, he was good.

10. Billy Nichols- If he's making $$ from this tour, my guess is that he's
hiding it in the bags under his eyes.

11. Zak Starkey- fantastic.  He really was amazing on the instrumentals.

12. Pete Townshend- On Stage The Whole Time.  No arguments from me.  His
guitar could have been a tad louder but Drowned was fantastic and his
singing was pretty good.  You could tell he really really wanted to
windmill and jump around.  Let go, Pete!

13. John Entwistle- Shafted Again.  Well, I heard him on "5:15" but that
was it, really. Plus, he got dicked out of the encore as well. Which of
course brings us to....

14. THE ENCORE.  I really wasn't too impressed with Substitute 'cause I'm
sick of it.  I DID yell out "I fucking hate Magic Bus" during the show
because I'm sure that John was saying it to himself.  Poor John.  I
believe Won't Get Fooled Again deserves special mention for a few reasons:
	a) Pete, at one point, looked like he was in love with Roger.  The
duetting was so cute!
	b) Roger, doing the falsetto "Won't get fooled again" was classic.
	c) He still did the scream.  Cute move, Rog.

15. I Paid Too Much Money For A Hat and A Shirt.

So, all in all, (sorry this has been so long, but hey, it's not about Who
Is God, Mardi Gras or Pizza), I had the best show that I've ever been to
thus far.  Remember, I never had the opportunity many of you did to see
the Who when they were with Keith- so for me, this is as good as it gets.
The musicality of the whole thing was top rate, and it was a fun show.  I
can't wait to go again on Sunday and Monday.  Pam and I will see you all
at Molly Wee's again Sunday evening.

Thanks, all, for being so nice, and making me feel so welcome.

:-)
Jay

PS Special mention about Mark Leaman- 1) he looks nothing like what I
expected, Gregg Allman, maybe, Arlo Guthrie, definitely not, 2) He didn't
beat Bernd up although Fang was rooting for it, and 3) I sat a few rows
below him and when I looked up at him, he looked like he really enjoyed
it.  He goes home tomorrow, I think, unless Big Bertha is keeping him away
from his record store :-)

              Jason Hare  <hare@acsu.buffalo.edu>
	     "Rust Repairer and Full Time Survivor"- Keith Moon
		http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~hare
      		   "Time is fleeting" RHPS
        Funny how the pages turn and hold us in between.... - Brian May