Quad 7/16--review

        Before you read this, consider the following:  there was the
biggest bunch of assholes sitting behind me, singing and shouting in my
ear.  They were mostly shouting at every person with mammmalian protrusions
who walked by.  I wondered during the concert which would I have nightmares
about more, those losers, or Gary Glitter's hair and makeup.
        One of my first impressions was that you had to be pretty close to
the stage in order to enjoy the show better.  I was relying mostly on the
large screens, even though I was in section 129, which are pretty good
seats.  I couldn't believe I paid that much money to watch T.V.  I think it
was very important to be close to the theatrics on stage, because the sound
sucked.  It wasn't loud enough, and especially the first few songs sounded
like mud.  Partly due to the schmucks in back of me, I had to really
concentrate on what was going on the stage.  I had only been to one other
concert in a large arena before, which I don't remember too much about, but
someone told me that's how the sound usually turns out at stadium shows.
Whatever the case may be, I was disgusted because of it.
        Roger was stunning.  He sounded great, and had a lot of energy.  He
had a bit of difficulty hitting the highs, which really didn't make a
difference, because the audience drowned him out with their singing (this
is something I just don't get.  I understand the temptation to sing along,
but personally, for my money, I'd rather sit and listen to the performers I
paid to see.  Some of these people acted as if they were in their cars,
singing along with the radio.)   It looked as if Roger has been hitting the
gym and those amino acid shakes big time.
        John was extraordinary, as usual.  The solo he did for 5:15 was
brilliant, but I thought I detected him screwing up at one point, and
missing the beat.  He stopped, like he was saying "shit!"  Did anyone else
catch this?  He never ceases to amaze.  They showed him quite often on the
monitors, which was cool.
        When that guy on electric guitar did his solos, which were good, I
couldn't get excited about it, because I wished it was Pete doing them.  I
heard Pete's acoustic pretty well, and needless to say, he was phenominal.
"Drowned," "I'm One," and "Cut My Hair" were fantastic.  His voice was in
top form, but once it broke up into hoarse scratchiness--only momentarily,
though.  He seemed to be having a good time.
        I thought the overall production of Quadrophenia was good, apart
from the sound of the arena.  I don't think it was overdone at all, even
though there was a lot of room to overdo it.  Gary Glitter was scary, but I
thought he did a great job.  I never thought I would ever say this, but I
enjoyed Billy Idol's performance.  However, I was getting a bit tired of
the sneering contest between Idol and Glitter.
        I was very happy to hear "Naked Eye" when they finished Quad.  I
thought it was a cool version.  Before the song, Pete introduced everyone
on stage, starting with John, but did he forget to introduce Roger?  I
really enjoyed BBE, WGFA, and MB (although I never really liked that song.)
It was a treat to see only Pete playing acoustic, and Roger singing.
        Well, tonight I'll be closer to the stage, and I hope I'll get more
enjoyment out of the show.  I should have brought binoculars last night.
Hopefully, where I'll be in relation to the stage tonight will allow me to
see more of what goes on the stage.  I thought it was beautiful to watch
the waves of the ocean shown on the monitor, before they kicked off "The
Real Me."  I just want to be closer, that's all (and no loudmouths around
me, please.)  :)

                                                                        Stacey.