Re: Mardi Gras (No Who Content)

>Yet another note of yours
>concerning what you believe is Christian belief. But the great visionary
who doesn't even know what Whitsunday is
>is challenging me again with new insights into `Xtianity' :-).

Bernd:

First of all, when explaining what Mardi Gras is all about, I am not writing
a note "concerning what you believe is Christian belief." Instead, I am
explaining Mardi Gras. I didn't make this stuff up; this is what the
celebration is all about. I know; I've been there several times and read
quite a bit about it as well. You may not want to accept that, but you're
only denying the truth.
BTW, given that Whitsunday isn't called that in the US, I don't think that
you have a point there. I'm sure that you want to find any flaw in my
argument, impossible as they are to find, but this isn't one.
Nice try, though.

>First of all, the fasting during Lent is a Christian practice, a rite, but not
>a belief.  That's an important difference.  The idea is that abstination is
>kind of a physical meditation that encourages mental meditation as preparation
>for Easter.

Yadda yadda yadda. Did I use the term "Xtian belief" in regard to Mardi
Gras? Go back and read my note. And tell me how you intend to separate a
rite from a belief. Belief spawns ritual, therefore...I mean, if you want to
be technical about it.

>As mentioned in your and my previous posts, the carnival tradition itself is a
>pagan one, celebrating the end of winter and the beginning of spring with
>some anti-demonic rituals, including colourful disguises.

I love the way you try to slip that in. Demonic? There's nothing "demonic"
about Mardi Gras, unless you believe that enjoying yourself is demonic. Next
you're going to tell me that women can't dance or wear pants...

>So, in case of your New Orleans Mardi Gras, two things melted together:  The
>pagan end-of-winter cult and the need to eat a lot before Lent.  Both of them
>had nothing to do with Christian belief.

Again, the fact that you're giving up "for Lent," and Lent is a Xtian
belief, invalidates your assumption.

>And if you think that you have to `get your sins out' before Lent, then feel
>free to do so.  But don't tell me that any Christian document recommends or
>orders you to do so...

I never did. You should read my posts with more attention to what's written.
I said in the first sentence that Mardi Gras was a pagan celebration...and
nowhere did I write that it was a Xtian one.

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend