Re: new Quad (tape machine noise)

Bernd Gramlich wrote:

>    ad C)  No, the northern and the southern stations of London are not directly
>    connected by railway tracks.  (London already was a large city in the early
>    days of railway traffic.)  You have to take the Underground to get from one
>    to the other.

Just to give you a bit more insight into our crazy transport infrastructure, the
main reason why London has so many terminus stations is because up until the early
1950's, there were several competing railway companies, each with their own London
terminus. In the main, they stuck to their own defined regions, but there was a lot
of overlap and competition between the companies operating out of Victoria and
Waterloo. In fact, nearly all their lines cross each other at Clapham Junction,
which still claims, as a result, to be the world's busiest train station. All the
train companies were brought together when nationalised, but we have always been
stuck with the existing track and a huge number of London terminus stations, most
not having viable rail links between them. It's a constant pain for visitors and
through travellers, but the cab drivers *love* it.

Brighton has always been served by Victoria, and the London to Brighton non-stop
service, which I think is what 5:15 is about, has always started from Victoria. I
don't think Jimmy would have been in any state to change trains anywhere, it would
surely have made that "out of body" experience even more hazardous :-)

I still don't think that's a tape machine in the intro, either... :-)

Mark T.