Re: pizza

At 17:31 06/07/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Bernd, re:
>
><< Ah, the pressure of nice invitations to MSG becomes overwhelming :-). >>
>
>OK then. Screw MSG and come for the pizza! Gee, did the digest become say...
>40% pizza talk? I wonder if gerbils like pizza? :)
>
>-wf
>
>Not to turn this list into a foodways discussion group, but pizza is
actually a Southern to Mid-European staple transplanted to the New World
probably by Italians from the south of Italy. Thus, we have the herb-scented
pissaladiere of Provence and the bacon and cheese tart of Alsace-Lorraine to
add to the Naples and other Italian versions of this classic repast. To turn
it back to rock, how does that line from go from the song on the Let It
Bleed album, "I like a cold Italian pizza, but can use a lemon
squeezer..."??...something like that anyway... But as we are on the topic of
pizza I have to uphold the colours of my home town and recommend Toronto's
Camarra's, on Dufferin Street North in Toronto.  They do the puffy crust
version, but very well, and their house red is great. Now I can't say if
it's as good as Peppe's in New Haven, never having eaten there... Speaking
of New Haven, I DID once have a very creditable bagel there at a place
called Lenders. Of course the only decent bagel in North America is from the
wood-fired ovens of the St-Viateur Bagel Bakery (on the street of the same
name in east-end Montreal, Quebec). Did you guys know that a half dozen of
these sweetish, crusty beauties (faintly redolent of burnt Quebec maple) got
the Who through a rough night in cell no. 7 in Montreal in '73? Okay, okay,
I'm just kidding!........Gary