Re: That Which Sustains

>I propose three principals governing this cyber-faith

Roland, you are taking on a tall order, especially considering that there's
a Master Of Destiny on this list (that's me, folks)...formerly a Master Of
Reality, but why rehash the past...

>(1) That there is a Supreme Being above us all

Fair enough; after all only God could make a tree. Plenty of proof around
(with apologies to those of you who live in the desert...only God could make
a Yukka Bush, how's that?).

>(2)that human-kind are Spiritual Beings

Now that's a tough row to hoe, as they say. I'm willing to stipulate that
there's a little bit of God in us all (and it's true that I've been most
often saddled with the title while making love, but why rehash etc etc), but
it's really hard for me to accept that someone like Newt has ever seen the
eternal flames of glory ("Don't go into the light! Don't go into the light."
Oops, sorry...my daughter is watching Poltergist).

&(3) that we should follow the golden rule (do unto others etc.)

It's hard to argue with that, but Hell...I'll give it a shot.

"Do unto others..." Well, I don't know about doing anything unto others,
really. Unless they want to be done, I mean. And then they'd have to be
pretty durn cute...

"...before they do unto you." Wait, I've got that wrong, haven't I? Uh,
it's: "...as you would have them do unto you." Well, that would often be a
physical impossibility, for one thing. How about: "...as you would have them
make you feel." Hmmm...no. You'd have to change the entire thing to: "Make
others feel as you would want to be made to feel." But then, some people
don't like to get felt. Or at least, I THINK that's why I got slapped.
This IS a tough one. Either that or I shouldn't stay up so late.
What we need here is something all encompassing. Like "All you need is
love," but not quite as Liverpuddlian. Hmmm..."All you need is drugs." No,
that's bound to get me in trouble. "All you need is the new QUAD remix." Of
course, then WF wouldn't join and we need him to do human sacrifices. "All
you need is tickets to the MSG QUAD show." Now we're getting somewhere...

>....that's it!

Yes, I think it's starting to come together...right now...over me. Damn,
that's what happens...now my daughter is listening to ABBEY ROAD.

>... no other dogma involved.

I don't know about "dogma," but I have a female Border Collie...
(yes, I always go for the cheap laugh...and this time I owe YOU money)

>beyond this you can believe anything you want...no priests..no church..no
>Bureaucracy!

"No sex/no drugs/no wine/no women/no fun/no sin/no you no wonder it's dark..."
Roland, I do believe you're turning Japanese. Or perhaps you just have the
Vapors.

I have a feeling that the only "That which sustains" around here is
Townshend's guitar...

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend