Re: Boycott

>1. A person can't understand why we don't need another copy of some late
>80's one-hit wonder, particularly in r&b and "hair" metal. Well, let's
>see, after I sell the other ten I have, I may be able to get rid of
>yours.

Scott:

I never got the original note "Boycott," but did someone seriously suggest
anyone boycott used CD stores??? I can't believe my own eyes...
To keep things simple, I trade two for one...so no CD is worth more than any
other. Yes, I've had people come in and want more because something is
"new." My logic is: I'm keeping my prices low. So it's not worth more than
that to me. If someone takes it to a Pawn Shop, they get (at most) $1.25 for
it. I'm offering $3.50 in trade value. If I get some that are "less
valuable" (like New Kids On The Block or something) I make sure that at
least half are good ones. Then I price the "bad ones" lower. And it works.
Of course, it goes without saying that if I already have it...I don't need
it (exceptions are something hot).

>2. "You're only going to give me five bucks trade for this brand new
>disc?" Unlike new discs, there are no return privileges. Once it's bought
>it's part of our inventory until it's sold. That means one good disc
>that sells right away has to pay for the other five that have sat on the
>shelf for two years.

Another point (or more) about stores such as mine: we're recycling. A good
thing. Also, it's usually the ONLY places you're going to find out of print
and/or rare, hard to get stuff. In MB there are only "Mall Stores," so
anything not hot isn't available anywhere but here. Let us not forget that a
used CD store is also a great place to experiment...I don't mind paying $6
or $7 and trying something new out. Which promotes more sales of an artist's
work.
I'm assuming that the original post said something about the artist not
getting their share. Well, they did...on the original sale. If their music
didn't please the person that got it, and they choose to trade...how many
times should they get paid for the same piece of work? Do the record
companies have a way we can return something we don't like?
And what about BMG, who (if one does the deal and then quits, as most people
do) sells them for $3.50 each (with the postage and the one you have to buy
at full price)? Is that fair to honest "record" stores? Are the artists
getting the same amount as if they sold them for $15? How could they be?

>3. "You mean I can't trade these two discs straight up for two brand new
>ones?" Uhh, yeah Beavis.

Ha! I've had exactly one customer in four months get offended because I
wouldn't trade one for one. I guess he still lives at home, and doesn't
understand bills and how we get food and all of that.
I also had one who got angry because I give a discount when you buy 4 or
more...he only wanted two. Oh well...I mean, I lose money when I give that
discount as it is, so the least it can do is promote sales. I mean, that's
why I do it.
We might as well face it: Most people don't understand business and the
marketplace.
Wish I had seen that original post. Anyone care to send it to me?

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend